[Public-List] Mast cradle for canal and winterizing

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Sep 11 09:07:59 PDT 2009

Hello Bill -

We also store our mast on deck in the winter, and have carried it on
deck when motoring on deliveries.

Up forward I lash a short 2x4 across the bow pulpit and in turn lash
the mast to that.  We carry it heel forward for convenience when
raising it again.  Aft, I have a scissor crutch made of two 2x4's
bolted together.  We stand the feet of the scissor in the after
corners of the cockpit seats.  I also rig lines two going forward to
genny sheet cleats  and one going aft to the backstay chainplate.

I set things up so that the the mast is high enough that we can stand
at the helm under it, and we can remove the washboards from the
companionway.  For canaling I would suggest that you place the mast
such that there is little or no overhang forward, and with the extra
length high over the stern.  It will be easier to fend off errant
houseboats etc that way.

If you like I can sent you a photo off-line.

Gord
#426 Surprise