[Public-List] (no subject)

Robert Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Fri Sep 18 09:51:07 PDT 2009

Dave...

It may have been a "soliton" a rare and not very well documented isolated
travelling wave without the presence of a full wave field. Surface
manifestation of a non-linear internal wave. They usually occur in narrow
bays and straits - even along a canal towpath where they were first
documented. They have been reproduced in wave tanks (USC 1976) and seen on
satellite pix.
See this description:

    http://www.math.h.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takasaki/soliton-lab/gallery/solitons/index-e.html

or this
picture:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/slidesets/oceans/oceanviews/slide_13.html

See, also the related "Tidal Bores" which are seen in narrow funneling bays
with large tidal excursions.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181