[Public-List] Would this work???

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Sep 21 06:02:37 PDT 2009

Alfredo & Licet

My suggestion would be have a trailer expert look at the rig.  I discovered
a great trailer guy here in Pittsburgh who helped rebuild the ancient
trailer I used to tow my boat from Annapolis to Pittsburgh (about 250
miles).  It has 2 mobile home trailer axles rated at 7,000 lbs each and was
frequently used by the previous owner to haul a 30', full keel boat.  The PO
also built a 41' full keel sailboat (about 10 tons) in his back yard and
used the trailer to move it from Pittsburgh to the Chesapeake Bay, so I
guess the 14,000 lb axle rating is conservative.  It sat in his back yard
for years and the bearings and electric brakes (both axles) turned our to be
in good shape.

I have had discussions with my trailer guy about converting to a gooseneck
rig which he likes because the shorter length improves maneuverability  and
about 25-30% of the total load goes to the truck bed, resulting in more even
weight distribution and less load on the trailer (if the boat weighs 9,000
lb and the trailer/cradle 3,000, very conservative, the load on the trailer
will be around 9,000 lb. or less).  You can check the rated capacity of the
trailer on the name plate usually located in the front (if no name plate,
don't bother, it's really hard to register a trailer without one).  I think
allot of the 2 axle trailers w/ 7,000 lb axles are rated to carry 10,000
lbs.   I know newer 3500s (and even some 2500s) can handle the additional
bed load; you can check the specs on the truck (I think you subtract the GVW
from actual vehicle weight to get total load the truck can carry).

Here is a link to an article Yves Gélina wrote about towing his A30 behind a
Suburban http://www.capehorn.com/sections/remotorisation/remotoriserAng.htm
(go to last part of article).

Best,

Roger 148