[Public-List] Standing Rigging

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 12:37:48 PDT 2009

Derrick wrote   "My plan is to use the existing stays as patterns and cut the new ones to fit based on those. By stretching them out on sawhorses I should be able to get a pretty darn good fit."

Let me suggest that you stretch the wires on the pier, or other flat surface.  Drive a large nail into the pier to stretch from it and drive a second nail at the other end.  Then build your new wire "nail to nail".  When I rerigged Isa Lei, I measured each wire in place and added two feet as a safety factor.  I opted for swaged fittings at the upper end and had a rigger do them.  The lower ends are Norseman, which I did as I changed each wire.  For cutting, as has already been suggested, tape the cut and use a Dremel.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle.
Alexis de Tocqueville