[Public-List] Sheet to wheel steering and Alado furling

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Sep 28 05:48:50 PDT 2009

Good morning Pete -

Letcher goes into steering by sheeting to tiller... and inserting a
wheel is not really a different topic.   What people did in the past
is fasten a drum to the wheel for the lines to exert torque on instead
of a straight pull one way or the other on the tiller.   (the old
Autohelm 300 drum is nice and tidy)  and lead the sheets to it.   One
thing to bear in mind is that in the days when self steering by
sheeting to the helm was used, it was considered acceptable because
nothing else was available.   Even in well balanced boats it takes
hours to tweek the steering to the point where the boat will steer
itself this way... if the sea or wind or course change you have to
start all over again.   In addition, even a sweet steering boat that
can be persuaded to steer herself this way will do it better on some
points of sail, and not so well or not all on others.

Steering by sheeting to the tiller is a lot of work with marginal
results as the best  possible outcome.... and only slightly less work
and a lot less fun than steering by hand.

Sorry to be so pessimistic!  This is a topic I have done a fair bit of
digging into.

Gord #426 SURPRISE