[Public-List] Sheet to wheel steering and Alado furling

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 05:54:36 PDT 2009

If I remember rightly, Hal Roth's book "How to Sail Around The World" has a description of the system - I know I found a complete description in one of the books I read recently, so I will try to find it and let you know.

The basic idea is that the sheet (from the jib usually according to the diagrams I've seen) gets attached via a block to the lee side of the tiller, and a spring line - usually a piece of surgical tubing - gets attached to the windward side, again via a block/link so that you can easily adjust the tension.  When the boat falls off, the sheet pulls harder, turning the boat upwind, and when the boat comes up, the sail starts luffing/losing power and pulls less, and the tubing pulls the windward side of the tiller, turning the boat downwind.

Common issues are that the pull is too light - use a reverse pulley arrangement to increase the pull in lighter winds.  I think you would have to use the mainsheet for broad reaches or further downwind.

I know I also found a fairly simple emergency rudder design/selft steering diagram using some simple pipes with a trim tab based rudder.  I plan on building one of those as backup.

Bill