[Public-List] Stern tubes...

rixquik at yahoo.com rixquik at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 10:58:27 PDT 2010

For the "gunk removal" I went to an art store and got a "hoop knife" that they use for working with clay. It was still a bear, but much easier than using a straight blade.
About through-bolting, the glassing that I did was primarily aimed at filling in the "crotch" of the deadwood to create a flat, vertical area to accept the bolt holes. While I was at it I mixed up some mush and buttered the housing with release agent and lightly assembled the whole works with some mush between the housing an the hull. The idea was to put the housing directly on, and perpendicular to, the centerline of the shaft. Once it kicked, I drilled for the housing bolts and pulled it all apart again to prep for final bedding and assembly.
I've been working in NC for a couple of months now, but will be going home this weekend for the Big Sur marathon. I will certainly be aboard and can snap some photos if you like.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121
Monterey, California