[Public-List] Stern tubes, stuffing boxes, etc.

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 16:48:44 PDT 2010

I can understand the logic. The bearing housing outside the boat
threads to a bronze tube inside the boat and there's no fasteners
holding anything in place other than the two outside bolts. The inner
tube just floats in a mass of sealant.  Also, the hole in the deadwood
(at least on my boat) is huge...possibly as much as a quarter inch
larger than the stern tube itself..all just filled with the sealant.
Granted the shaft is in place to somewhat hold everything from lateral
movement, but it's just the bolts holding the apparatus from pulling
put astern.

-jeff

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Hugh McCormack <hugh_alberg at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> I'm curious as to why you decided to through bolt the housing?  I (may be wrong) understood that the housing is threaded onto the stern tube and that, therefore, the bolts really only serve to prevent the housing from rotating and loosening.  If the housing is not threaded on then through bolting makes sense to me.  I am looking forward to learning from any following discussion since this is, obviously, a potential problem point and something that I may need to attend to on our boat.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hugh
>

>> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:42:49 -0700
>> From: rixquik at yahoo.com
>> To: public-list at lists.alberg30.org
>> Subject: [Public-List] Stern tubes, stuffing boxes, etc.
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> I used the epxoy/glass wrap method to bring the stern tube diamteter up to match the stuffing box about five years ago. Having the hose fit snuggly on both ends under two pair of top quality hose clamps is much less worrisome than the janky old set-up.
>> I also removed that huge mass of sealant, ground everything clean, and layed in some additional glass to provide a good backing surface for nuts and washers. The bearing housing is now properly bedded and through-bolted. There wasn't much meat left in the holes where the old lag bolts threaded in and I couldn't bring myself to launch her again that way.
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Rick Leach
>> Sugar Magnolia, #121
>> Monterey, California