[Public-List] V Berth Cubby - filters

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Apr 7 08:59:38 PDT 2010

One of the big advantages to being at our marina is the number of scientists
we have, particularly two who specialize in water quality issues. Both are
award winners many times over. One is a recipient of an award from the
International Joint Commission (IJC) recognizing his sizable contributions
to Great Lakes water quality research.

Both these scientists do not favour using water filters in a boat tank.
Their argument is that you actually concentrate the harmful bacteria in the
filter, essentially creating a Petri dish. Silver halide filters only work
for so long as does activated charcoal. Most boaters do not replace those
filters properly.

They both make a practice of blowing emptying their tanks and ensuring the
lines are clear, blowing them if necessary. If you need to shock a tank, do
so, but drain it completely and just add water.

By not using various antifreeze, (non toxics) in the tank over the winter,
the worst tastes caused by tank water will not exist. If you air dry the
lines and use water only, after about 3 or 4 months any residue taste from
propylene glycols absorbed into the plastic will disappear so you don't have
to change your lines.

Personally, we do have a filter which I change each season, silver halide
activated charcoal, and do add chlorine, but we use the water only after
boiling for cooking, tooth brushing, hand washing and dish washing and
toilet flushing and never drink directly from the tank unless cruising for
extended times with really fresh water just taken aboard.

After all, isn't that why they invented beer, scotch and gin ; )

Best

John