[Public-List] V Berth Cubby - water tank (Keeping mud out of the forepeak)

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Apr 7 12:35:29 PDT 2010

I would agree with John (as usual)

The power wash down pump can double as an emerg bilge pump, not a bad thing.

With regard to drinking water; SURPRISE's old aluminium tank lid was quite
rusted and despite my best effort cleaning and replacing hose, the water was
still coming out looking like root beer.  I removed all the hoses, removed
both galley water pumps and replaced the two with one large brass one.

For drinking water we rely on bottled water which we store under the main
salon bunks.  We keep one or two litre bottles on the go in the ice box with
the rest of the stock under the bunks.  Yes I know that the plastic is not
so planet friendly... But we have no more dirty water tank troubles and it
is impossible for us to lose all our water through either contamination or
leakage and keeping track of our store of water is easy.

A last smaller benefit is the absence of a couple hundred pounds of water up
forward and the subsequent benefit in pitching moment.

Gord #426 SURPRISE