[Public-List] Cockpit deck core job

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 06:01:41 PDT 2010

Gord,

Does your boat have the little fiberglass volcano that rises up under
the tiller where the shaft meets the tiller? Sounds like this came out
intact and you were able to completely able to reuse? For the core, a
solid piece of plywood? Or cut up into sections?

Good for you on jumping into this. It's on my list, but keeps getting
bumped back down by other projects.

-jeff

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> wrote:
> I didn't use foam core or any of the other materials available because in a
> small high traffic area like the cockpit sole something capable of taking a
> real pounding was, I reckoned the way to go.  If I were doing a larger
> expanse I would have worried more about weight...but in a smaller area the
> diff in weight between the lightest synthetic and a piece of 3/8" plywood
> (which was the perfect thickness) is I think negligible in the scope of the
> boat's displacement.
>
> I am not going to worry about water in the wood because the plywood is very
> well soaked in epoxy.
>
> The plywood was cheap, already in stock in my workshop... And as I see Don
> has remarked, hard to beat for strength.
>
> Gord #426
>

> On 08/04/10 6:40 AM, "C.B. Currier" <cbcurrier at spinrx.com> wrote:
>
>> Gord,
>>
>> Why not use foam core ?
>> Lighter, equally as strong in this sandwiched environment and if closed
>> cell - will never absorb the water? And what thickness did you use?
>>
>> C.B. Currier
>> Infinity #57
>> Daybreak #458
>>
>> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 09:23 -0400, Gordon Laco wrote:
>>> I still have three weeks before my intended
>>> launch date and all the big jobs on the boat are under control.

Jeffrey Fongemie