[Public-List] Cockpit deck core job

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Apr 8 06:15:56 PDT 2010

HI Jeff -

No, there was a large raggedly cut hole that allowed the rudder shaft to
'float' up through the bronze casting.  The latter is what held it in
position.

When I was visualizing the job before doing it, one of the plans I was
developing for the plywood was to lay it down in squares like tiles leaving
spaces to fill with thickened epoxy.  I was thinking isolating each square
from its neihbors would be a good thing with regard to preventing future
water trouble.   I decided not to bother with this as I contemplated
possible difficulties in making the top surface smooth.

People had told me that I would never be able to get the top surface of the
fibreglass laminate off intact so I went into this job all set to make a new
top laminate.... But as I wrote, I was indeed able to remove the top surface
intact as a quite solid plate which I was able to reuse.

Thanks for the 'good for you'.   Honestly I held off doing this for several
years... I was really not looking forward to it.  Working on wooden boats
holds no particular terrors for me; in fact I love the look and smell of the
wood - the projects often look beautiful as they are in progress and I have
several times thought it a shame to cover  them with paint etc.  Fibreglass
work on the other hand looks to me like panic barely under control until the
finish goes on!  But that's just me I guess.

Gord #426 SURPRISE