[Public-List] Cockpit deck core job

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Thu Apr 8 07:16:48 PDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 6:40 AM, C.B. Currier wrote:

> Gord,
>
> Why not use foam core ?
> Lighter, equally as strong in this sandwiched environment and if
> closed
> cell - will never absorb the water? And what thickness did you use?

I haven't read through all the replies (yet), but I just wanted to
mention that, while foam core is good, balsa is also an excellent core
material, with good properties.  While foam will not readily absorb
water, I believe it will still de-bond if water is introduced, and
that is where the strength lies - in the sandwich bond.

Really, you just don't want water getting into the sandwich at all, no
matter what the core material.  The problem is that Whitby (and many
other builders) took virtually no measures to keep water out, and you
know how water likes to get around!

Now, knowing what we know, and not being under the time pressure of a
boatbuilder trying to make a price, we can take the proper steps to
"close out" the core and keep the water out of the sandwich.

I slightly worry that people will not be as careful "knowing" that
foam will not absorb water.  That said, foam is a good core material;
but so is balsa.

Rachel
ex-#221