[Public-List] Water systems

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Thu Apr 8 21:25:53 PDT 2010

That's the exact commissioning procedure I've been using on Candy Cane
since it was posted to the liveaboard list a few years back! On top of
that, I fill my tank with water passed through a faucet-mount filter (it
was bloody difficult to get the correct adaptor to mate the threads on
the filter to the threads on the hose, but I eventually found one).

Although the taste of the water gets thrown right back off again by
leachates from the tank, the filtered water cuts back (in theory) on
corrosion from the top of the tank, and on hard water flakes (though I
still get plenty of white crud in my drinking water when the tank is low
or when I've just been through some rough weather). Filter life is also
stupidly easy to manage, since the actual life is based on throughput
(rather than the passage of time), and I'm only ever using the filter to
fill a tank of known capacity (and the recommended lifetime of the
filter cartridges are an even multiple of the tank capacity to boot!)

So when I mentioned earlier that I occasionally contemplate putting in a
new tank or somesuchthing when I see the bits of crud in my water, I was
referring to contemplation that goes something like:

"[Expletive]! I clean the [expletive] out of the [expletive] tank,
[expletive] sterilize and rinse it according to the [expletive]
standards, run all the [expletive] over town so that I can fill it with
[expletive] filtered [expletive] water that should be [expletive]
demineralized and [expletive] dechlorinated. Yet still, I get this
[expletive] crud. What the [expletive] am I supposed to to do get clean
[expletive] water?  Install a new [expletive] tank?"

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/