[Public-List] Hull 560 deck/hull joint

Bob Crinion bob at crinion.ca
Sun Apr 11 00:26:10 PDT 2010

I just finished removing the teak toe rail from the deck of our boat which is a liner hull boat.

I have found that the hull deck joint is secure in most places but it is loose in other areas with corroded 3/ 16"rivets.

I have drilled out some of the rivets in the secure areas to see if the deck will loosen after the rivets are removed but it seems to stick well together.

Are there any tips and tricks to this?

It is worthwhile to try and loosen the whole deck joint and recaulk with 3M5200?

There is a lot of old dried stuff under the toe rail after it is removed.

Is it possible to replace "all the rivets" with SS ¼" machine screws?

Can you get at all areas to put a nut and washer underneath the deck or do you have to  use rivets in some places because it is hard to get at?

What tool do you use to countersink the SS ¼" machine screws so the heads are flush?

Thanks,

-bob