[Public-List] Hull 560 deck/hull joint

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Apr 11 07:29:43 PDT 2010

Bob,

I've not done the side decks, yet, but I did do the taffrail.
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/NewerHullDeckJoint/

Bob Crinion wrote:
> I just finished removing the teak toe rail from the deck of our boat
> which is a liner hull boat.
>
> I have found that the hull deck joint is secure in most places but it
> is loose in other areas with corroded 3/ 16"rivets.
>
> I have drilled out some of the rivets in the secure areas to see if
> the deck will loosen after the rivets are removed but it seems to
> stick well together.
>
> Are there any tips and tricks to this?
>
> It is worthwhile to try and loosen the whole deck joint and recaulk
> with 3M5200?

I wouldn't.  The deck joint is glassed together with a strip of glass
soaked in resin.
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/NewerHullDeckJoint/P3310039.jpg

#10 screws are sufficient, I think.  I suggest using nylock nuts to
prevent them from vibrating loose.

> Can you get at all areas to put a nut and washer underneath the deck
> or do you have to  use rivets in some places because it is hard to
> get at?

I suspect you can reach them all, though some may be a little difficult.

> What tool do you use to countersink the SS ¼" machine screws so the
> heads are flush?

You can get a countersink that fits on the drill.
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/NewerHullDeckJoint/P3310031.jpg

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org