[Public-List] More A4 transmission

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Aug 2 13:26:14 PDT 2010

Hello again friends -

Here¹s more info on the transmission adjustment.

The symptoms were:  slipping out of gear when in forward when going at more
than 1/2 throttle... Or while maneauvring giving the engine burps of power
in forward.

Following the advice of George and C.B. (thanks for the detailed
descriptions and pictures) I removed the top plate of the transmission and
this time put the shifter in neutral before rotating the shaft by hand until
the set screw was visible.   I found the same 1/2² socket I used to remove
the plate fit on the set screw¹s hex head.  It was gently tight and came
back to hand tight easily.   I withdrew it a few turns and tried to move the
adjustment ring, but found it wouldn¹t move.  I reckoned I had not withdrawn
it enough to clear the notches...then after turning it back further, I felt
how loose it was and feared knocking it into the transmission casing.   So,
thinking right out was safer than almost out, I removed it carefully.

The adjustment ring wouldn¹t move by hand pressure so I pressed on a notch
with my screwdriver (I was careful to move it clockwise as seen from an
imaginary position looking forward).  It moved a little.  I chose a lower
notch and tapped on the screwdriver with a piece of wood until I reckoned
the next notch was under the set screw hole.   I very carefully replaced the
set screw and felt it bind for a bit as it pressed home into the notch.   I
turned it gentle tight with the socket wrench again... I read on the web
where somebody had turned too hard and broken the casting it goes into... It
is at least as tight as before but I have to wonder that there is no lock
washer there.

I put the cover back on...went up into the cockpit and fired her up.   I
revved her up to full throttle in forward at the dock and there was no trace
of slippage.

Wahoo ­ thanks, friends!

Gord  #426 Surprise