[Public-List] Info on keel

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 21 05:17:53 PDT 2010

All; the Sail Chicago Club boat, Emotional Rescue #303, was run aground by one of our members. After it was towed off by the Marine Police boat, the Officer diver took digital photos which indicated 1/4 inch deep gouges in the very bottom of the keel and approx. 6 inches up the sides of the keel. We are preparing an insurance claim and need to assess the damages. Emotional Rescue is an 1968 vintage.

The question; is the very bottom surface of the keel metal or is it a fiberglass? After a week, we are not getting more water in the bilge. I have no idea if the fiberglass is slowly becoming saturated with water. Help!

Ed Schroeder