[Public-List] Spuds and Things

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 18:22:35 PDT 2010

Iron workers use a 'spud' wrench to assemble girders to posts. This wrench has a long tapered tang on one end and a heavy open end wrench on the other. Tang aligns up the holes in goes the bolt and then all is tightened.  Probably there is some type of power tool used these days.

I used to work as a warehouseman at H.D. Edwards..............a mill supply house and ship chandlers in Detroit. This was the longest continuously operating business in the city of Detroit.........since 1843. Last I knew they were still in business so still hold that claim to business history. We had folks there who spliced Manila and wire rope for all kinds of specialty items. Back in the dark nooks and cranys were all kinds of really neat stuff. We sold 'keg bumpers' which were woven pillows of 1" Manila rope, used to unload wooden kegs/barrels from transport vehicles.  I learned more working there than in history class................well it certainly was an interesting 'expansion' to my grade school history class.

Michael