[Public-List] High Temperature

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 04:30:23 PDT 2010

Jim,

We have the same engine and pump in our boat.  As George has said, it is possible that there is a partial blockage in your system.  Besides the exhaust manifold another spot could be the thermostat.  If it is partially obstructed then the system may be partially or totally re-circulating hot water back through the pump and the engine.  Check the temperatures of the two hoses going into and out of the pump.  If they are both the same and hot then the pump is re-circulating hot water from the engine.  In this case I would suspect the thermostat.  If the outflow from the pump is warmer than the inflow then you may have a friction problem between the impeller and the cover plate.  A broken impeller blade is often the culprit.  I was told that the water channels in the Gray engine block are bigger than in most other engines and that they were designed this way to allow for raw salt water cooling without the potential for corrosion clogging the passages.

With our boat you can lay your hand on the manifold or the block after the engine has been running for an hour.  It can feel hot but not excessively hot to the point of instant burn.  In addition, the exhaust water is not hot enough to burn or scald.  Mind you our ocean water temperatures tend to be around 10C so there is a lot of cooling potential!

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,

Hugh