[Public-List] Apres-#400 ice boxes

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Tue Aug 31 06:18:21 PDT 2010

Gordon

I improved the insulation on mine by systematically driling holes in the
bottom and engine side of the ice box and then injected Great Stuff
until it flowed out the holes. I also had access to the bottom through
the locker under the port sette and found that there were several inches
of open space. I used this access to fill up as much of this space as I
could prior to working from the top.

I also benefited from reading what Jacques in Montreal had done to
improve his ice box - If I remember correctly, he took the whole box
apart and then raised the upper surface about six inches. Pictures
showed that he is an excellent craftsman. Jacques pictures and
discussion are on the e-mail archive. I think I did this project about 4
years ago.

I have not done the hull side, but the comments here make me think that
would be a good idea.

David

>>> Gordon Laco 08/30/10 2:39 PM >>>
Well OK Bob... So I have to lead!? I was hoping somebody would tell me
how
to do it.

Gord

On 30/08/10 2:27 PM, "Bob Crinion" wrote:

> Hey Gord,
>
> While you are at it take some pics, and let us know how it goes...
>
> I'm heading for the ice box re-insulate trip myself!
> Perhaps you can give us the course.
>
> My wife wants a new countertop while I'm at it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -bob

Laco
> Sent: August 30, 2010 1:21 PM
> To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
> Subject: [Public-List] Apres-#400 ice boxes
>
> Hello friends -
>
> Next on my list of upgrades for SURPRISE is improving the ice box.
She¹s