[Public-List] Ventilation of engine space (smelly cabin)

gregr at nethere.com gregr at nethere.com
Mon Dec 13 12:51:43 PST 2010

I had Ayla out idling about the harbor last night to watch the annual Parade
of Lights here in San Diego and there was a noticeable engine smell down
below. It doesn't seem like an exhaust leak. She has a Yanmar 2GM.

Ayla is a preliner boat and there is no ventilation of the engine
compartment that I can see. There are two scoops on the aft deck with ~3"
hose led to the port and starboard lazerettes. The aft lazerette doesn't
have any ventilation either.

I'm thinking about:
 1. Remove the hose for the port lazerette.
 2. Install a 12V squirrel cage fan between the aft and port lazerettes.
 3. Add some 2" to 3" holes connecting the port lazerette to the engine
space.
 4. Add some 2" to 3" holes connecting the starboard lazerette to the engine
    space.
Ideally this would draw air in from one of the scoops, circulate it through
the lockers and engine compartment, and exhaust it out the other scoop.

How have other folks solved this problem?

Thanks,

Greg

S/V Ayla