[Public-List] cutlass bearing

mahseer at kos.net mahseer at kos.net
Sun Dec 12 18:49:21 PST 2010

Richard

I have done mine twice, first time I removed the complete stern tube
assembly.  This turned out to be a big mistake because re-sealing the tube
was difficult.  What I did find out is the inside end of the cutlass
bearing house has a flange that did not facilitate using s standard
extraction tool, I had to use a hack saw blade and cut out a section of
the tube, then collapsing the remainder and removing.  When I installed
the last tube the bearing was about an inch longer that the housing so I
left this in place so the next time I can drill a hole through the bearing
and hopefully pull it out.  This method has to be tried sometime in the
future.  Any good chandelry or prop shop will supply you with a
replacement cutlass bearing.  Have read your upgrade blog and am enjoying
it.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380