[Public-List] Season's Greetings and a question about stern tubes

Mel Martin mel.martin at utoronto.ca
Sun Dec 26 06:13:35 PST 2010

Ahoy maties! Very best of the season to yez!

So, engine and gas tank removed, I can now properly inspect the
stuffing box, prop shaft and stern tube. All have suffered years of
neglect. I'm having a new  prop shaft machined because the old one is
badly scored and corroded. With the prop shaft out of the way, i can
see the inboard end of the stern tube, and it is not a pretty sight
(see attached).

It's clear that the upper bolt retaining the stern tube is badly
corroded. The lower bolt is impossible to see - it's hidden behind and
below a "lip" of GRP, but I'm pretty sure it's in as bad shape. The
tube itself seems a little misshapen.

Anyway, it looks to like I'll have to replace  the stern tube bolts,
at least and maybe replace the stern tube itself. I confess that I am
little bit nervous about the whole thing because I've never done it
before, and because I am concerned about a cascade of problems once
I've done it.

Have any of you ever removed/replaced a stern tube? How hard was it?
What problems did you run into while doing it? What should I look out
for? Any and all advice welcome and appreciated.

best.
mel
Hull 452