[Public-List] Epoxy failure [was Steam bending Teak]

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Feb 2 09:40:03 PST 2010

Bob,

Thanks for the links.  I was offline due to the storm this weekend, so
I'm just looking at them now.  Reading the first one, it seems they
are not blaming all epoxy, but that the tunnel constructors used fast-
set epoxy rather than "normal" set epoxy.  Apparently fast set is more
prone to creep.  I've always used the regular stuff, myself.

Have you heard of any instances of failure due to creep of epoxy in
sailboat construction or repair?  I have heard people talk about the
possibility for such, but have not read of an actual failure (of
course I'm not counting cases where the epoxy didn't set up due to
improper mixing, or where there was some other mistake made).  I'm all
ears though, since I do use epoxy.

Wouldn't cold-molded construction be a prime candidate for failure?

Thanks again,

Rachel