[Public-List] Water inside v-berth with too much heel

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Thu Feb 4 06:09:34 PST 2010

Rick,

Thanks for the information.

Michael
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Leach" <rixquik at yahoo.com>
To: public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:48:29 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Public-List] Water inside v-berth with too much heel

Michael,

There really isn't anywhere for it to drain just by gravity.  The best solution I've been able to come up with is to run a "semi-permanent" length of 1/2" hose from the bottom of the small sump aft to below the V-berth drawer where I can slip it onto the suction of my little Par piston pump.  It only takes a minute to empty the sump into a bucket with the pump (or by siphon if there's enough water to fill the hose).  With this suction hose I don't need to mess with the anchor rode or bail with cups and sponges.

The arrangement up there really seems like something of a curiosity.  Why the chainlocker was not completely segregated from the V-berth is a mystery to me.  Eventually I would like to isolate it from the area below the berths and continue to use the little sump as a rosebox for a suction line.  Hope this helps!

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121
Monterey, California

From: crufone at comcast.net

Is there anyway to drain this small sump or bilge forward of the water tank? Anyway to fashion a limber passage to drain the water? Otherwise that is a bit of a pain to keep the water out of the bunk drawers which are below the top of the water tank. I believe that the bottom of the tank is the hull?

Michael #133