[Public-List] Prop zincs?

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:36:31 PST 2010

Greetings,

    It's the B size that is the zinc fitting on the end of the drive shaft
on most/all our boats. Gooping up the screw with some marine caulking may
help the screw to stay tight for longer. Clunking the zinc with a hammer
after you put it on helps to seat it; the screw must then be retightened.

   There are different qualities of zincs, not surprisingly. Some are more
"pure" and last longer, others are less expensive and last a shorter time.
This place in Seattle is the way to go for prop zincs and for the pencil
zincs that go into most engines:
http://www.harboranodes.com/propeller_nut_caps.html
    I bought a dozen of each for a reasonable price.

QUESTION:  I'm finding that I need to replace my prop zinc 2x/year in
Squalicum Marina in Bellingham, WA. Does this sound about right to the rest
of you?  I change my own zincs at the dock, but I hate the cold water. (A
used wet suit from Pacific Marine,  Bellingham-- $35-- helps a ton, but
still, that water's friggin' cold!)

   Anyone have thoughts about how to reduce this frequency to 1x/year?  I've
been hanging a large guage wire from the shaft over the side into the water
with old zincs securely attached, hoping to have them help slow down the
corrosion.  Maybe helps a bit.

   Other view points would be appreciated!