[Public-List] Tack Hooks

Rod Symmes weatherhelm at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 07:59:04 PST 2010

George - I am glad I am not the only one who forgets to release the downhaul.  (-;
Another thing I learned the hard way -  If I didn't remember to cleat the downhaul once the jib was up  [no - I did have a figure 8 at the bitter so I didn't lose it ] but the extra length did end up flying downwind and slapped against the jib so I thought I would be clever and snap each hank around both the forestay and the downhaul.  I thought that would also give a good straight pull when lowering plus prevent it from wrapping on anything while blowing around loose.  What I learned was that the friction increased as the jib is lowered because it bunches at the bottom first.  Most times it would jamb before the sail was on the deck.
Sail and learn ...... that is just one of the joys.

Cheers,   Rod