[Public-List] Tack Hooks

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Feb 10 15:57:07 PST 2010

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net wrote:
> <The self-furling head sail has gone so the all lines led <aft
> arrangement I have now is not going to be that useful
>
> I haven't used self furlers much, but I find the Genoa halyard led to
> the cockpit very useful with Checkmate's hank on headsails, especially
> with a lazy line rigged at the head, down the luff, then back aft.

I do the same and find it indispensable for singlehanding or in rough
weather.  I tie the line to the top hank to avoid jamming it when
hauling down. (Learned this trick from Phil Beigel.)  With the downhaul
and sheet cleated tight, the sail won't go overboard or climb back up
the forestay.

The only problem I've had with this is when I try to raise the genoa
having forgotten to release the downhaul. :-)

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org