[Public-List] Propeller Shaft Material

Don Lang potatosailor at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 14:20:16 PST 2010

Aquamet shafts ftw!  :-)
They cost more but are superior.
We have only seen one fail, but to be fair, that was on a 97 footer we built with a three inch shaft and they were  pushing hard off the west coast and really loading her up in big seas. The loss of the $7,000 prop on the end really hurt our feelings as she was still under warranty.

If you go with stainless try and ensure the vessel has good water flow around the shaft when the boat is not being used. Pitting and corrosion due to lack of oxygen can be a real problem. many mistake it for galvanic corrosion.

Here's a good material comparison site http://www.machinist-materials.com/stainless_table.htm

>From the Bertram31.com site:

 Basic shaft characteristics: