[Public-List] mast beam repair

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 06:21:45 PST 2010

Even Epoxy glue joints fail for things like tabbing and gluing things in sheer.  For tab joints, the recommended solution is to use slots cut through the material, and strips of fibreglass.  Don Casey's book This Old Boat (2cd version) has a picture in it of how to do this.  I would guess that just wrapping the entire beam in 3 places with 3" fibreglass would work well.  If you go to an art store and buy some acetate, then you can glue all the layers up at once and get a glass-smooth result.  The procedure is:

Base layer - smooth plywood or the like
1-2 layers of felt (to distribut the pressure
acetate
epoxy (apply to all of acetate, fibreglass and wood)
fibreglass strips 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 positions, wrap all the way around the beam, meeting at the TOP - you want to be able to tension these to make sharp corners
Wood layers - with epoxy applied - consider thickening with wood flour unless your layers are perfectly smooth
fibreglass strips,
acetate
1-2 layers of felt
waterbag from pool store (or sand if you are outside) - use warm water as this will help the epoxy set and penetrate nicely.  Waterbags do not stick to epoxy and in and of themselves make a fairly smooth surface, so for small areas, you can just use it directly.

Use duct tape on the "side" of the laminations (this is what the bottom will be when it is in place) - duct tape does not stick to epoxy on either side unless you get the epoxy around the edge of the duct tape - you and also use a piece of acetate here, but it will not result in as smooth an appearance as there isn't any way to get the weave fully filled without a bit of pressure and being flat.  You could try not epoxying the sides so that you can epoxy them later under pressure.

The ideal way to apply pressure is actually with a vacuum bag, and that also produces glass like surfaces.

If you just wrap something without the pressure/acetate, it is very hard to get clean edges as the glass tape has a seam that tends to pull up and make a hard ridge.  I've done both for building my Spindrift 10N dinghy, and this method works quite well, although not as well as vacuum bagging.

Bill.