[Public-List] mast beam repair

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Thu Jan 7 07:05:58 PST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Bill Wallace wrote:

> Even Epoxy glue joints fail for things like tabbing and gluing
> things in sheer.  For tab joints, the recommended solution is to use
> slots cut through the material, and strips of fibreglass.  Don
> Casey's book This Old Boat (2cd version) has a picture in it of how
> to do this.  I would guess that just wrapping the entire beam in 3
> places with 3" fibreglass would work well.

Wouldn't the beam laminations themselves be in tension though, not
sheer?

I can agree that there is a "peeling" type force on the tabbing, but
if the beam does not sag or move, then I don't see why that peeling
force would be any more pronounced than that which is on all of the
other tabbing in a boat (bulkheads, etc.).   Most of the force in this
case wouldn't be a peel force either, to my mind.  Unless I'm missing
something (?)  (I'm not a physicist.)

Rachel
ex #221