[Public-List] mast beam repair

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 08:05:14 PST 2010

I'm not totally sure about the stress on the mast beam, but I think it would be sheer - a force applied on the deck on top of a couple of the beams would push them down more than the other beams, thus applying a sheer force - regardless, long term applied sheer or tension is hard on non-reinforced plastics.  On the dinghy, there are a few places where screws are used to keep the joint under compression - this is for a joint without fibreglass.  Fibreglass changes the mix as long as the stress is along the fibres - that is why you can pull the tabbing apart as it is a straight glue joint, but once you adding the slots, the fibreglass takes the stress.  I haven't done my deck beam, and can't even see it so this is all based on other epoxy/fibreglassing I've done.

Bill