[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 7 08:15:29 PST 2010

The other issue with Resorcinol, which is the glue they used, is that they
tended to use red oak which has a lot of acids in the wood. Laminating the
beam with epoxy, over time, I suspect would have the same problems.

If you really like the look of the wood, suggest cutting it lengthwise and
sandwiching the aluminum beam plates inside ensuring that there is an epoxy
barrier so the acids in the wood don't eat the beam. I would suggest using
316 bolts as well.

Just to make sure.

Y'ust my 2 cents.

Best