[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 7 09:06:19 PST 2010

With the new epoxies like G-flex from Gougeon's,  you have better
materials than  we had even 2 years ago. G-flex was developed to
overcome the problems with normal epoxies of adherence and strength of
joints with teak and mahagony.   G-flex has the strongest modulus of
elasticity of any epoxy in production so far. If you like the look of
oak, you might want to call them in Michigan and ask about the reaction
for red oak . It may make some sense to switch to white oak if there is
better adherence and you would still have a very attractive beam.to look
at. White oak has a better reputation for lasting than red oak and the
really good English white oak will last in soil for 50 years per inch of
heartwood when used in the construction of wooden henges (similar to
Stone Henge but made of wood). There was an interesting article on wood
henges in Scientific American about 35 years ago for that information.
    John has mentioned acids in red oak. Normally plants do not have
much of an imbalance of ionic charges so these are organic acids but
strong oxidizers as well . I do know that with red oak particularly,
that if it sits on steel for long as the board is cut from the log on
the sawmill, it turns very black, very quickly. The iron in the steel is
oxidized and the oxide sticks to and discolours the wood. I have never
tried litmus on red oak sap though. If this is the case that there are
acids in the wood, every time it gets wet, there is a replacement of the
hydrogen ion and so the acid reaction continues again, the same way you
add just water to a wet cell battery.
Don #528