[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Thu Jan 7 08:48:14 PST 2010

Hi John and Bill,

Red Oak makes great fire wood, but White Oak would be a better choice for boatbuilding. Thanks for your input.  I only want to do this once so I must get it right the first time. I am having a bit of trouble visualizing the 'slots' which Bill is talking about in the tabbing application.

I assume if I were to cut shallow 1/16"slots into the face of the laminates and then fit square keys into the slots as I do the layup this would take up most of the sheer forces? One could also install 304 SS screws from the top downward into the laminates? This would function as both a keying device against sheer slippage and keep the package of laminates under compression? This system would be undetectable from the exterior of the beam, whereas the square keys would be seen on outer face of the beam.

I have also considered laminating using vertical laminates instead of horizontal.  I could also make a new beam out of solid white oak or some better wood....one piece with no laminations. Both of these last two solutions would be basically re-engineering the beam.... where I would rather rely on the original engineering provided by Whitby.

I do appreciate your continued commentary, thanks

Michael #133