[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Jan 7 09:07:35 PST 2010

Hello friends -

Here is my 2 cents worth... white oak is nearly as bad for gluing as
red... the main reason white oak is a good boat building wood is its
rot resistance due to closed phylums.  It will not draw moisture the
way red oak with its very open cell structure will.   Unfortunately
white oak has the same acidic qualities that red has and it is this
that will make glue releases over time more likely.

If you are making a beam with laminations - and they can be much
stronger and more decay resistant than solid timbers - I would suggest
use of ash.   Ash normally is not rates so high as white oak for rot
resistance but it has no acid issues and glues up very well.  If the
piece being fabricated is made up of laminations glued with epoxy, and
the whole thing is saturated with more epoxy before varnishing, the
glue joints should hold with no release issues as one would expect
with red or white oak.

Cheers - Gord