[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 05:38:16 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM,  <crufone at comcast.net> wrote:

> Bill you seem to have much experience in the laying up of laminates. I thank you for coming forward to make suggestions. I hope that I can concact you for further advice when I am at the point of doing the lay up of my mast beam.  A couple of other owners who have early boats with wooden beams feel as I do about the appearance factor and are waiting in the wings to see how successful/durable my relamination repair is before they attempt their own repair.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Michael #133

Michael, count me in as another one waiting in the wings to see how
your project turns out. My Alberg #116 has the original beam with no
aluminum plates. Last year was my first year with her and the beam
seems fine at the moment, but I suspect it is just a matter of time. I
do believe my beam had some additional bracing added at some point,
which may be why it is still intact:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NdbyKg_T3qIfnqcmdrruag?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie/MastBeam?feat=directlink

I think a properly laminated bean of white oak should last at another
40 years, and look good too.

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie