[Public-List] Mast Beam Repair

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Mon Jan 11 06:41:07 PST 2010

Gentlemen,

I have been reading this thread with interest since it started last
month.  I have a couple of observations.

First we know that the aluminum plate beam reinforcement is a 100%
repair.  However it is a little unsightly.  No more worries pounding
upwind in a storm.

Secondly, It seems to me that getting successful laminate of existing
wood beam laminates somehow separated (a very dodgy proposition) or
new materials still carries a fairly high degree of risk of failure.
(Laminate void,  wood grain failure, bonding to the cabin top fails,
etc.) However aesthetically it is is desirable.  But it has to be the
most time consuming option and it still won't be as strong as the
Aluminum plate option. It will still flex.

I was thinking maybe you can have the best of both by worlds.  Install
the Aluminum plates and then fabricate some teak cover plates to hide
them.  You can have the plates made to be a .25" shorter in the
vertical and then bring the trim down flush with the bottom of the
existing beam.  I estimate that this project can be completed in about
half the time of replacing the Laminate beam.

Just my 2 cents

Larry Morris
Solstice, #501