[Public-List] Mast Beam Failure on #133

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 10:10:57 PST 2010

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up based on your experience.   I will try to document all my disassembly as best possible. I thought that the mast beam to bulkhead bolts might exhibit the same wea kness as the 1/4" chain plate bolts.  Though the chain place bolts tend to fail in sheer, the mast beam bolts might just bend (tension failure) because of their wood to wood fastening application.

I have seen the 'sawing affect' that threaded bolts have when used to fasten wooden components together.  Best to keep the threaded part of the bolt for the nut and washer only. I guess that the reduced threaded cross section also substanitally reduces the load carrying capacity of  the bolt as well.

Michael #133