[Public-List] Mast Beam Failure on #133

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Mon Jan 11 10:12:49 PST 2010

Michael,

Just remember the beam will continue to flex under load.  The reason
the original adhesive failed is that it brittle brittle and failed
under the repeated flexing of the beam.  The AL plates will not flex
making the entire structure very stiff.  Static load flexing
(flattening you described) is not as much of a concern as the shock
load flexing.  This dynamic loading of the structure is what causes
the beam to fail over time.  and unless you have strain gages I don't
believe you can measure it accurately.

The cleats primary purpose is to reduce the torque load of the beam.
The beam has a tendancy to want to torque away from thebulkhead.  this
is cause by where the the mast step is in relationship to the
bulkhead.  Unfortunately the very little of the mast rests on the
bulkhead.  It is aft of the bulkhead.  This causes the torque loads
that want to twist the beam away from the bulhead.  The cleats are
used to minimize this movement.

I believe if you install a new wood beam in the boat. It will flex and
in short order that flattening you have now will appear again.   The
flattening of the beam will occur before laminate failure occurs, not
the other way around.

Larry Morris
Solstice, #501