[Public-List] Dynamic Loads while sailing

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 16 06:44:35 PST 2010

    Trying to figure out and localize forces on boats is always a
challenge and many just use the resolved center of the force to
illustrate the mechanical point of action (as in sail plans, COE and
CLR.). Sailing World did a story of the Aussie America's Cup boat that
broke and sank off San Diego about 25 years ago now and figured the
load on the center of that hull that broke it was over 500,000 lbs.
(upwards not down) where it broke . This was because of the moment of
the leverage from fore and back stays primarily, because the hull broke
at about the center of effort transverse to the length. The bottom of
the hull opened up before the gunwhales let go.
     If one starts with Newtonian laws of motion  and for every force
there is an equal and opposite reaction, then there is pull down from
fore and aft stays as well as all side stays. Some of you say these
should measure 1000 lbs a wire on the Loos guage for an AL30. These are
all pulling the mast down and compressing the deck beam with just the
static load. The fore and back stays have the added leverage that the
pull up on the hull from both ends is multiplied by the distance of the
lever which in our case totals 30. I am not a designer or engineer but
if the pivot point is the mast base, then the tension on the backstay is
multiplied by 19.5 and the tension on the forestay is multiplied by 10.5
(the J value).and this is the force offset by the mast beam and the
technology within the design of the beam and its connections to the
hull  to spread that load to the hull.  If the point of compression is
the center of effort, those numbers will change a bit but the multiplier
factors still sum to 30. The side stays have a moment  factor of 4.375
for each one and that force pivots on the centerline of the hull. Once
you get into adding to these static forces with dynamic and shock
When one considers how small the mast wall thickness is and the downward
force per square inch can only be spread over that cross-sectional area,
then the mast base plate has to be that thick to take that force.
Because the mast base plate is not centered over the mast beam, it
becomes obvious that the torque on the mast beam is more that we think
at first glance, even though the force is now spread over the area of
the mast base plate, most of which is behind the mast beam. That too
will strain the connective joints of the beam to the hull even under
static loading.
    I guess the main thing here is to let your back stay off every time
you leave the boat if you run with things as tight as you say you do by
Loos guage tensions.
Don #528