[Public-List] Knockdown in an Alberg 30

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 07:53:55 PST 2010

Hello,

Has anyone on-list suffered a complete knockdown (masthead in the water), not just a blow over, in an Alberg 30?  Perhaps our friend Robert Birk? who is currently circumnavigating can add something here.
What happened? What broke and what didn't? If you would please recount your experience.

My sailing waters will be the Great Lakes. I assume that if I sail long enough I will at some point get knocked down and would like to know if the boat is capable of surviving a knockdown.

I have read with keen interest Yves Gelinas' recount of being rolled in the Southern Ocean. This extreme test lead us all to up-sizing our chain plate bolts. What about the mast beam, how does it fair during a knockdown?

Michael #133