[Public-List] Dynamic loading on the Alberg

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Jan 16 08:55:05 PST 2010

I don't have a lot to add to this as, unlike my good friend Don, I am not a
true Renaissance Man - wish I were.

However, all racing A-30's carry the mast butt as far forward in the plate
slots as possible.

The second point is that it is always peak dynamic forces that bring down a
rig as opposed to static forces. Unless the rig is in terrible shape. Also
the one need remember that cyclic loading plays a part. everything only has
so many cyclic loads before fatigue sets in.

It was an unanticipated peak dynamic load that sank that Aussie America's
Cup boat.

Fortunately for us, Whitby did not push the limits to define the limits and
there is sufficient reserve strength in the a-30 rig.

However, peak loads under the truly dynamic conditions a boat sails in are
difficult to calculate as wind wave height and wave period  and wave shape
can cause radically high peaks in loading.

Often, what brings a boats rig down is the mast getting out of column when
hitting a wave at the same time a peak compression load takes place.

So what to do ?

Oversize the chain plate bolts; ensure the rig is not too loose; ensure the
wire is in good shape and robust enough; sight the mast to ensure it is
remaining in column; replace the wire every 10 -15 years in salt or 15-20 in
fresh water;  use mechanical terminals like norsemen or stalocs; make sure
there is a compression tube inside the mast at the spreaders; ensure the
spreaders are in good shape and not flexing or rotting if wood; and fix the
laminated wood beams on the older boats - use the time proven Rankin method
and if you hate aluminum put a wood covering piece at the aft end of the
beam.

And go sailing.

Best

John      PS It was great to finally meet you Gord Laco (at the Toronto Boat
Show) - we have to sit down and have a beer some time - maybe two ; )