[Public-List] Mast Failure at the Spreaders

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Sat Jan 16 16:24:59 PST 2010

John Birch Wrote
Oversize the chain plate bolts; ensure the rig is not too loose; ensure the
wire is in good shape and robust enough; sight the mast to ensure it is
remaining in column; replace the wire every 10 -15 years in salt or 15-20 in
fresh water;  use mechanical terminals like norsemen or stalocs; make sure
there is a compression tube inside the mast at the spreaders; ensure the
spreaders are in good shape and not flexing or rotting if wood; and fix the
laminated wood beams on the older boats - use the time proven Rankin method
and if you hate aluminum put a wood covering piece at the aft end of the
beam.

John,

I am curious about this compression tube or fitting that you mention which is inside the mast at the spreaders. Is this a part of the original equipment on the Alberg 30 or is it some type of aftermarket upgrade?   If it is an important upgrade, how does one install this fitting halfway up the inside of the mast.

I thought that most rig failures on the Alberg 30 were from spreader (the spreader material failing or the socket on the mast failing), shroud failures (either turnbuckles, fittings or wire failure) or chain plate failures.  I wonder how many Alberg 30's have had the mast collapse inward under the spreader socket (First) and then have the mast buckle because of the crease in the outer skin at the spreader socket?

I must admit that this is a new bend (pun intended) in the equation.  I have never heard of mast failure on the Alberg 30 mast in this manner.

Michael #133