[Public-List] Mast Failure at the Spreaders

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Jan 16 16:58:19 PST 2010

Hi Michael,

Harry Grigat, who sailed A-30 Dolce Vita for a number of years, was a
retired aircraft engineer who had considerable experience with aluminum
fatigue issues.

Harry was of the opinion that the Alberg masts suffered from a lack of the
compression tube and was critical of the excessive number of holes Whitby
had in the area of the spreaders including installing the steaming light so
close to the spreaders.

Harry installed an aluminum compression tube where the main bolt passes
through the mast at the spreaders. It is a pain in the butt job to do, but
he accomplished getting it  installed by running light line from the
spreader hole out the bottom, then inserting the tube in the line and
leading it back up to the hole on the opposite side.

He then pulled the tube up through the base by pulling on the line equally
on both sides of the spreader bolt hole. When it got to where he wanted it
he then reinserted the main bolt through the tube out to the other side.

When a mast fails at the spreader it is often difficult for an amateur to
correctly diagnose the failure that started the collapse as everything is so
distorted.

Harry was also extremely critical of Whitby's use of rivets, (usually
aluminum) and that he preferred using SS drilled and tapped machine screws
with caulking used as a thread anti seize.

I am just repeating what Harry told me personally.

Danny Klacko, a well regarded mast maker and restorer was also critical of
the cast aluminum bolted heads on Alberg masts and preferred plate
fabricated and welded heads. Danny always uses compression posts on his
masts, though he welds them in.

Danny is an excellent aluminum welder and about the only one I know who I
would trust to weld aluminum. Aluminum can easily distort if not welded
properly.

Klacko spars is located on 3rd line in Oakville Ontario.

Danny more or less concurred with Harry's concerns. Both believed Whitby
should have used a larger, but thinner mast section, but that is a whole
other story.

Also, if you have nicro presses on your shrouds at the mast head and
spreader bases instead of proper terminals, there is a unanimous consensus
from Harry, Danny and every surveyor I know that this is a bad bad bad
practice. They should be swaged terminals at least, norseman or staloc's
being much much better.

Best

John