[Public-List] Alberg Rig

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Mon Jan 18 02:41:42 PST 2010

Re: Suncor

This product is fairly short on detail but there is an insert cone, it just
doesn't need one to separate the outer core of the wire from the inner to
insert the cone as on a Norseman.

This is because the Suncor goes on the outside only - that is not as strong
a method.

Note Norseman is rated 100% the strength of the wire, Suncor is rated 90%
the strength of the wire - so there goes 10% right there.

That degrades your Working Load Limit (WLL). WLL used to be called the Safe
Working Load (SWL) before lawyers determined one should never imply the
product is safe by using the word Safe. So WLL was created, its really the
same measurement. Then there is Yield Point (the point when the product
begins to distort) and Failure Point (Breaking Strength).

So, theoretically, your wire will never break as it will pull out of the
Suncor product presumably after reaching about 90% ; )

Kind of cold comfort.

http://www.suncorstainless.com/quickattach/quickattach.pdf
"Quick AttachTM" Fittings are precision machined from 316 stainless steel
and Lloyds approved

under #97/00200 for holding power of at least 90% of the maximum breakload
of the wire

rope used. Special attention has been placed on the strength of the
terminals, which guarantees

that the wire will always break before the fitting even gets distorted.

The advantage of "Quick AttachTM" over conventional fittings is the
arrangement of the wedges

on the outside of the cable which makes assembly much easier and allows
different types

of wire to be used with the same fitting.

"Quick AttachTM" fittings are ideal for repair of rigging without swaging
and for many other

industrial, or architectural uses where the exact length of the cable cannot
be determined

beforehand or where assembly needs to take place on-site.

You shouldn't be deterred by Norseman, I have done those connections many
times now. It isn't very difficult at all.

A fine slot blade screw driver makes the job really easy on the Norseman -
you have to do all the other work anyway - soooooooo.....

Why would one sacrifice 10% of a rig's wire integrity because it made the
job 5 minutes easier to do during install ?

I'd go Norseman, or Sta-loc (both rated 100% of wire breaking strength).
Norseman are 316 SS as I believe are Staloc.

Suncor sound inferior by there own prospectus.

Best

John