[Public-List] rigging

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 18 07:16:06 PST 2010

    There has been an extensive discussion on mast beams and rigging and
the pros and cons of various rigging systems. The over-riding
consideration in any refit is safety and it is never the safety of the
conditions that one decides to sail out of port in,  but the conditions
that one gets caught in while out that usually determine the maximum
boats will take more than people in most of these circumstances so
whatever the designer has done to make boats so they will weather a
storm, they have done a fairly good job. However, they have done this
using design principles which involve numbers and algorithms that
dictate working load limits (WLL) and breaking load limits. Usually, we
do not have those numbers at hand when we make decisions to repair or
replace. The best we can do is look at materials for sale that seem to
match what is there. We can also use recommended safety factors of 5x
for loads not having to do with lifting people and 10x load if we are
lifting people. That sets breaking loads at 5 x the WWL (so if you
tension the rigging to 1000 lbs, you will need 5000 lb wire to be at
that safety factor) and somewhere around 2500lbs if we are lifting
people. Oversizing line is never a problem but it will put the breaking
point of the system on whatever the next weakest link is.(chainplate bolts?)
    As an example problem of choices, the Harken catalogue gives
measurements of breaking strengths of three 1/4" SS 1-19 wires: 302 is
8200 lbs, 316 dyform is 8844 lbs and 316 is 7090 lbs. I suggest that not
many of us could tell the difference by looking at these three wire
ropes and I have a suspicion that there are few of us who could say what
Whitby originally put on our boat or what is on our boat now if we have
replaced the rigging..
    I have taught the ropes and knots materials for the Canadian Power
and Sail course for a number of years and what I tell my students every
time is to know what you need and know what you are buying by
manufacturers specifications given on the materials that you buy. If
there are no specs given on the roll of rope, then you don't know if the
roll of rope is first grade or seconds. Knowing what you need is not
just 1/4" wire rope. It is what spec on 1/4" wire rope you feel will be
safe ( I'm not a lawyer) for the worst conditions you will ever be out
in and then will that provide the WLL or breaking strength that the
designer has given in his drawings.
    I never rely on price to tell me what the value is of the product.
Most often we get what we pay for. There are many times I have gone to
commercial riggers - the people who do the rigging for cranes and
commercial lifting devices - for wire rope because they always have the
specs and usually do not price things with BOAT in mind. That way, I
know what I am getting when I buy wire rope from them..
    Therefore the questions that I would ask you to sort out are do you
know the design requirements for the products you are fixing or
replacing? and  does the product you are making or buying meet those
specifications? If the answer for the second is that you don't know or
that that product does not measure up to design requirement,  my
recommendation is DON"T BUY IT!
    We have been given 2 figures on rigging in this recent discussion,
$1000, from a source in Florida and $2000 from others. What we don't
know is whether  both  rigging purchases contain the same components for
a start. If one is done with Nico press fitting and the other with
Norsemen fittings, there is one difference. If turnbuckles were replaced
in one but not the other is another significant difference. Make sure
you know what comparative pricing does for you, and if you do go for a
group purchase, make sure you get a well described spec list before you
tender it. That way, your comparative pricing will be effective.

Don #528 and #469