[Public-List] Rigging

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 18 10:04:34 PST 2010

I agree there has been lots of discussion on rigs and my question was specifically on the Blue Wave/Suncor fitting which I have heard very little about.  I have sailed #231 for many years and in the last couple a knowledge that the rig needs work.  Now I have everything down the most remarkable part was that it needed help to bring it down.  There were bent studs, loose Norseman terminals!, old nicopress terminals and bent wires.  From this I conclude that there is very little chance of a rig failure if I put the rig back to how it was when it was new.  However, new technologies are on the market and it makes sense to review them even though I expect the designers knew what they were doing.  Just a matter of getting independent reviews.

As for quality the comments on the price/quality issue are well taken.  You get what you pay for.  304 wire and swage fittings are very unlikely to fail in the short term.  If more is paid for 316 then I expect the rigging will resist corrosion longer (then again my stays are probably 43 years old).  I don't have the time or inclination to second guess the design parameters of each part I buy.  I want to know that it will last and then theres the debate between quality and price.

So thanks again everyone for the comments.

cheerio

Mick