[Public-List] Steam bending Teak

Janet Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Sat Jan 30 14:01:19 PST 2010

At 02:21 AM 1/30/2010, Rachel wrote:

>Could I ask where you read about epoxy being subject to creep under
>load?  I'd like to read more about that.

Hi, Rachel... Sure thing. It turns out that the famous collapse of the
ceiling panels in the Boston "Big Dig" tunnel was caused by epoxy creep.
See, for instance:

    http://www.designnews.com/article/7922-_Epoxy_Creep_Main_Factor_in_Big_Dig_Ceiling_Panel_Collapse.php

or here for the epoxy maker's "it wasn't my fault":

    http://www.boston.com/news/traffic/bigdig/articles/2007/07/12/ny_glue_maker_denies_role_in_tunnel_collapse/

Also West System has a short discussion on the flexibility vs stiffness of
epoxy, asking "What degree of creep ...  is acceptable?"

    http://www.epoxyworks.com/16/pdf/flexible.pdf

Various woodworking sites on the internet have forums of mostly anecdotal
stuff, too.

It's obvious that the Big Dig people should have built their ceilings with
laminated oak beams, glued with Resorcinol.
Bob Kirk
Isobar #181